Messy Bird

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Trust not in your bow

In Psalm 44 David is crying out to the Lord first in thanksgiving and then pleading with the Lord to remember and strengthen them against their foes.
In 44:4-8 David tenderly says, “You are my King and my God, who decrees victories for Jacob. Through you we push back our enemies; through your name we trample our foes. I do not trust my bow, my sword does not bring me victory; but you give us victory over our enemies, you put our adversaries to shame. In God we make our boast all day long, and we will praise your name forever”.
What a beautiful thought, a king, mighty and strong, comes humbly before the Lord confessing his weakness. He is completely dependent on the Lord. David takes no victory as his own, he accredits it to the Lord. He knows that he has no talent apart from the Lord. To any other king, their bow and sword are suppose to be a main source of protection, a primary comfort knowing that if they are well trained, they can protect themselves and lead a nation to a heroic victory. I can almost picture David standing before the Lord dropping his bow and sword to either side, knowing without the Lord, they are useless. I absolutely love how he boldly proclaims, “I do not trust my bow, my sword does not bring me victory, BUT… YOU bring us victory”.
What an excellent reminder that nothing that I have, no “talent” I posses is my sustaining comfort or protection. No victory that is won is of my own strength.
Today, trust not in your bow, for it is bendable, shakable, breakable, and uncertain. Today let your focus and trust be put in the Lord, for He alone is good. He alone can save. He alone is victorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment